Meta’s new smart glasses, made in partnership with Ray-Ban owner Luxottica, may be released sometime soon. As spotted by Lowpass’ Janko Roettgers, a listing for a pair of smart glasses by Luxottica Group has surfaced in the FCC’s database.
The original Ray-Ban Stories were listed under Luxottica, and there have been recent reports of a second-generation pair of the smart glasses, so it’s likely that these filings are for the new specs.
The original Ray-Ban Stories lets you capture photos and videos using the cameras next to the lenses and look through what you capture on a companion app. The new smart glasses are rumoured to have a number of upgrades, including:
- A more powerful processor for better performance
- A longer-lasting battery
- New sensors for tracking head movement and eye gaze
- Improved audio quality
- The ability to live stream video to Facebook and Instagram
Meta has been investing heavily in augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) technologies and smart glasses are seen as a key part of its future plans. AR glasses could be used for a variety of purposes, such as displaying directions, notifications, and other information in the real world, or for playing games and interacting with virtual objects.
It’s not yet clear when Meta’s new smart glasses will be released, but the fact that they’ve shown up in FCC filings suggests that a launch is imminent. If the rumors are true, these could be the most advanced smart glasses on the market yet.
Table of Contents
What are the potential benefits of Meta’s new smart glasses?
Meta’s new smart glasses have the potential to revolutionize the way we interact with the world around us. Here are just a few examples of how they could be used:
- Navigation: Smart glasses can display directions in real-time, hands-free, so you can walk or drive to your destination without having to look at a map or phone.
- Notifications: Smart glasses could display notifications from your phone, such as text messages, emails, and calls, without having to take your phone out of your pocket or bag.
- Information: Smart glasses could display information about the world around you, such as the names of businesses and restaurants, the weather, and traffic conditions.
- Gaming and entertainment: Smart glasses could be used to play games and interact with virtual objects in the real world. For example, you could play a game where you have to collect virtual items hidden in the real world, or you could interact with a virtual pet as if it were real.
- Productivity: Smart glasses could be used to improve productivity at work. For example, you could use them to display notes, presentations, and other documents in front of you while you’re giving a presentation, or to control your computer hands-free.
What are the potential challenges of Meta’s new smart glasses?
One of the biggest challenges that Meta will face with its new smart glasses is privacy. Smart glasses can collect a lot of data about your surroundings and your behavior, and it’s important to make sure that this data is protected from unauthorized access.
Another challenge is battery life. Smart glasses need to be able to last for a full day on a single charge in order to be useful, and this is a difficult problem to solve.
Finally, Meta will need to make sure that its new smart glasses are stylish and affordable in order to be successful. Smart glasses need to be something that people want to wear all day long, and they need to be priced competitively.
Overall, Meta’s new smart glasses have the potential to be a game-changing product. However, there are a number of challenges that the company will need to address before they can be released to the public.